Description: Learn how to knit socks from the toe-up with a gusset and a short-row heel for a perfect fit. Students will use the magic loop technique for knitting in the round, and considerations for two-at-a-time sock knitting will be discussed. Students will have a complete, adult-sized sock (or pair of socks, if they choose to work two-at-a-time) at the end of the class, with the knowledge and ability to complete many more pairs.
Class Dates/Times: Tuesdays, 6PM - 8PM
January 14, 28 & February 11
Instructor: Laura Booth
- Toe-up sock construction
- Sock measurements and fit guidance
- Using magic/traveling loop to complete small-diameter knitting projects
- Judy’s magic cast-on for a seamless, bi-directional start
- Shadow-wrap short row heels
- Jeny’s Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-Off
Skill Level: Intermediate to Advanced - Intermediate
Prerequisites for Class: Knitters should be comfortable with reading and following a pattern, working in knit and purl stitch patterns, and increasing and decreasing stitches. Previous experience knitting in the round (using either magic loop or double-pointed needles) would be helpful.
Materials Needed for Class:
- 3 skeins of Coop Knits Socks Yeah! DK, either 2 in the main color and 1 in a contrasting color, or all 3 in the same color.
- Needles: One 40” - US 2 (2.75mm) circular needle
- Stitch markers
- Pattern will be provided in class.
Before first class: Wind your WoolWinders yarn so you are ready to cast on.
Between classes: Students will be expected to complete the foot of the sock and begin the gusset before the second class, and the leg of the sock before the third class.
Please see the WoolWinders Shop Policies page for additional class information.